And Now Introducing...




MAGGIE








THE MAGNIFICENT!








I mentioned in a previous post that my youngest daughter had adopted Maggie from a local PetSmart/Shelter partnership. They have developed quite a relationship. It's remarkable to me because my baby girl has never been a real animal person. Other then fish, and an occasional hermit crab (things you don't really touch or interact with) she has never really had a "pet". She has also never been one to talk to inanimate objects or anything that didn't talk back. This was a child who was HORRIFIED of the Wizard of Oz, for God's sake. Monkey's flying... and talking scarecrows and lions - NO WAY!! And Mr. Ed (the talking horse)- even in reruns these things were not cute. And believe me when I tell you, there could not possibly have been a large man (white or black) in a red suit coming to our house WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP, even if he was depositing presents. If he was really a friend he'd come to the front door and ring the bell like people do! No pictures sitting on Santa's lap or hanging out with the Easter Bunny. It was NOT HAPPENING! Fenix ALWAYS wanted to know what was REAL. (Like I knew!). I'm not sure how much that has changed either. Anyway, I've been thinking about all of those things since she adopted Maggie. How in the world was she going to relate to a dog? Let's not even talk about the fact that dogs can BITE YOU and "Rule of the Pack" and all. (We do watch Discovery Channel and read the newspaper - get the picture? Now I'm not sure how much of my own stuff played into this because I have my own healthy respect for animals, but for now I've decided not to go on that particular guilt trip. I'm already committed to another one anyway and haven't quite returned to normalcy. What I have found out is that I really don't have to worry about it at all. (Well, not too much.) She and Maggie are just fine. They're working it out. They may even be in love.
GO MAGGIE!! GO FENIX!!!


I got the following quote awhile ago and thought it was great. I took the liberty of changing the words a bit. I substituted the word adopt for buy. There are a lot of wonderful animals languishing in shelters and rescue sites across the country. So, before you buy that pet, check them out. You might find your own Maggie, or one for your kids.

If you want someone who will never touch the remote, doesn't care about football, and can sit next to you as you watch romantic movies then adopt a dog.







If you want someone who is content to get up on your bed just to warm your feet and whom you can push off if he snores ..... then adopt a dog !








If you want someone who never criticizes what you do
, doesn't care if you are pretty or ugly, fat or thin, young or old, who acts as if every word you say is especially worthy of listening to, and loves you unconditionally, perpetually then adopt a dog.




But, on the other hand, if you want someone who will never respond to you when you speak, ignores you when you come home, walks all over you, r
uns around all night, comes home only to eat and sleep, and acts as if you exist solely to ensure his happiness then buy a cat!



This is a photo of Maggie and one of my daughters friends. I think Maggie's in love! (My daughter calls him the dog whisperer.)

Resources for adoptions: PetSmart, A Place to Bark (This is a dog rescue that also has an extensive list of sites. It's worth a visit just to see what this artist is doing for at risk animals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment